Saturday, April 01, 2017

House Update - SO CLOSE!

In a few days it'll be the 3-month anniversary of me moving into the new house, so now is as good a time as any to share some updates.  The house is definitely coming along, and some major pieces are finally starting to fall into place.  Since last update:
- The chimney & fireplace are repaired and are now functional (just in time for summer, yay)
- The apartment is finally on the rental market, 2 months later than I wanted but with a radiator cover finished that has been bugging me for years
- I bought a lawn mower and mowed the lawn for the first time ever
- Every piece of my master bedroom are finally here and now I'm just waiting on sheets before moving in

The frustrating part is that I can't really say any room is completely done yet, more like every room is 80% of the way there.  And the remaining 20% of each room is going to take a lot more time & effort (and money, gulp) to complete, probably a weekend or two for each.  But at least now it's pretty much all functional and I can have guests over without feeling embarrassed.

Anyway, a little bit more on the master bedroom.  There are actually two rooms upstairs that could be the master that I've been going back-and-forth between.  Room A is a little bigger, but doesn't connect to the bathroom.  Room B is smaller, but connects to the bathroom (the bathroom connects to both room B and the hallway, and it is the only bathroom upstairs, otherwise this would be a no-brainer).  I originally set up my old bedroom furniture (which is going to become the guest room furniture) in Room A, and slept there for a month.  Then, after the family visited, I moved that bedroom set into Room B, and slept there for a month while I waited for my new bedroom to appear.  For a while I was seriously considering making Room B my master to take advantage of the bathroom connection ... but ultimately I chose Room A.  1) Room A is painted in a neutral tone, while Room B has teal accents.  I don't want my master bedroom to have teal accents.  2) It's bigger and, crucially, wider.  I want to have my stationary bike in my bedroom so that I can ride it while watching tv, and trying to put the bike & bed side-by-side in the narrower room is a little too tight.  3) It already has a cable hookup, which certainly isn't a deal-breaker but makes it more convenient.  4) It may not connect directly to the bathroom, but I've already slept here for more than a month and the walk down the hall isn't bad.  Plus I live alone, so it's not like I need to worry that much about scurrying back and forth.

No comments: