Saturday, April 29, 2017

AC fritzle fratzle

Because I don't already have enough things to take care of this weekend, the universe threw me another curve ball.  My AC is on the fritz.

The first clue came Thursday.  I was away from Richmond most of last week, and I knew it was going to be warm, so I set the AC to 75.  When I got back from the airport on Thursday morning, the downstairs was comfortable, but the upstairs was not.  Troubleshooting that difference was how I discovered I actually have a dual-zone AC.  (Yes, I have lived here for almost 4 months.  No, I did not know it was dual-zone until just this week.  Yes, you may go ahead and judge.)  "Ok, no worries", I thought.  I'll just turn on the upstairs AC and everything will be fine.  The rest of Thursday was a bit of a haze (it was not a pleasant or restful red-eye flight back), so I didn't think about it much more.

I woke up Friday morning and it was noticeably warm upstairs.  The AC was running, but the air coming out of the vent wasn't cold; so I turned both ACs down a few notches to 70 and then got ready for work.

Then I got home late Friday night, and the downstairs was FREEZING.  The thermostat said 67, so I bumped that zone up a bit.  Then I walked upstairs ... straight into an oven.  Seriously, the heat difference across just a few feet was ridiculous.  The upstairs thermostat was clocking in at 84, which is a 17 degree heat difference between my 1st and 2nd floor.   It's also quite an achievement when the outside is only 75, which means my upstairs must trap heat like nobody's business.  UGH.

So, that is going to be this weekend's main set of tasks.  First, check to see if there's anything obviously wrong with the duct work or insulation that I can fix myself.  Second, go by a few fans and position them to blow the cooler air upstairs, because this weekend is going to be absolutely miserable.  Third, call an AC repair guy and pray to the Flying Spaghetti Monster that this will be measured in hundreds, not thousands.

Yay home ownership.

No comments: