Monday, September 03, 2012

Laborious Day

So, while I enjoy a good day off as much as the next guy, this year, Labor Day seems to have decided to smack me upside the head.

First - far from enjoying the day in its entirety, this afternoon I have to fly down to Plano, TX so that I can be on site at the office on Tuesday & Wednesday, and hopefully work through some open questions on a major project.  The circumstances aren't the greatest, but at least I knew about this in advance.  What I didn't know in advance, though ...

Second - apparently Amtrak has decided to cancel the train that was to be my method-of-return from Lancaster to Richmond.  They gave me a voucher for the amount I paid (which I would expect) but apparently it can only be redeemed in person at an Amtrak office.  I mean, WTF?  In this day and age, I can't rebook online, I have to actually go in person and hope they have an open seat for me?  Harumph, sez I!

Third - I got a notice from the bank that the loan check I deposited, which was supposed to pay for my renovations, was returned as "Not Authorized".  I have no idea what that means.  The check is clearly signed by both Fidelity (the loan company) and myself on the back, so I have no idea what they're talking about.  So, basically I can't do renovations until I get this fixed, and to make matters worse, I can't go into a branch until I get back to Richmond next week.  Argh!

Fourth - I got a notice from the city that my address is incorrect and apparently I owe them back taxes as a result.  Of course, they sent this notice to ... my current address, so that's another WTF moment that I'm going to have to sort through.

Add this to the rest of the drama around the deck plans, the permit office, and just work in general, and this year's Labor Day had just a touch too much of labor for my liking.

No comments: