Monday, February 20, 2012

My New Toy, and 3 Epiphanies

I have a new toy! According to the credit card receipt, as of 7:45 Wednesday evening, I am the proud owner of a brand new Motorola Xyboard tablet pc. It's been something I've been thinking of for a while, and tonight when I went to the Verizon store to get my new phone (only partially successful, but that's another post) I finally broke down and got one.  And you know what?  This thing is awesome.

It's light, portable, user friendly, has a gigantic crystal clear display, and I can play Angry Birds on it (which overheated my first smartphone, and is too advanced for my current smartphone pos to handle).  Via apps it can connect directly to my Netflix account, which will come in VERY handy when I run out of things to watch on my iPod at the gym.  And MotoCast lets me share any file between laptop and the tablet (cool so far, but still figuring out whether I'm comfortable with whatever security it has embedded in it)

Not all is wine and roses, though.  During the week it's lead to 3 somewhat-related-but-largely-not epiphanies:

  1. I have a LOT of cords at my desk.  I realized this when I went to connect Xyboard to my laptop for the first time, and had to move everything around.  I have cords for Xyboard, 2 iPods, my external hard drive, my mouse, and 3 power cords.  And that's without a printer of any kind.  That's too many, especially since my laptop only has 2 easily accessible USB ports (there are 2 on the other side too, for a total of 4, but the way it's setup they're just not convenient to use).  Maybe I'll go out and get a USB hub; bonus points if I can find the USB hub man, since my soon-to-be-brother-in-law wanted one but didn't get one :P
  2. I only have one charger at my bedside table.  That was doable when I only had my cell phone and blackberry to worry about, but now with Xyboard one lonely little charger can't handle it, and I'm going to have to reshuffle plugs.  That probably means getting a surge protector, which now that I think about it, probably isn't a bad idea given all the electronics I plug in at night.
  3. I don't have a bedside lamp.  This never used to be a problem, since I'd always turn out the light and get straight into bed, but now I can play with Xyboard at night a bit before going to sleep.  There are two problems with no light: first, once I turn everything out, I can't find Xyboard easily in the dark.  Second, in the pitch darkness the screen is a little too brilliantly clear and actually a little harsh, I need some ambient light to cut down on the harshness.
Finally, not an epihpany per se, but just a observation about myself: I still treat Xyboard with kid gloves, and am terrified of dropping it.  Some of that is probably due to my experience with my old Incredible, the rest of it is probably just the usual way I act around anything brand new.  I haven't even taken off the factory plastic from the screen yet, even though I bought 4 screen protectors when I bought Xyboard.

Seriously, though, if the 4 items above are all that I can complain about, I have a pretty good life.  :)

No comments: