Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Thoughts on Bin Laden

Well, unless you've been living under a rock, you know that Osama Bin Laden, the ultimate mastermind behind the September 11th terrorist attacks that killed 3000 people and brought down the World Trade Center Towers, is dead.

In the earlier years of my life I'd always heard about how you remember exactly where you were and what you were doing when certain important events happen ... and I'd always kind of wondered whether it was true. Then 9/11 happened, and now I know what that means; I'll always remember those couple of minutes when I was watching the tv and my mind actually processed what was happening. And I'll never forget those next couple of hours, when I walked around campus and saw people on cell phones desperately trying to get through to somebody, anybody, who could tell them whether person x was ok (Cornell had a lot of students from NYC). And yet they pale in comparison to what those who were actually present would've experienced. I just can't imagine that, and hope I never have to.

It's kind of weird, but I don't feel 'joy' or 'happiness' at the news, at least not really. A kind of 'stoic accomplishment' is the best I can come up with. I mean, on the one hand, I didn't really lose anyone, so 9/11 will never be 'real' to me in the way that it is to thousands of others. And if this gives them closure, I'm genuinely happy that they get it. But for me personally ... dunno, it just doesn't seem like something necessarily worth celebrating. There's certainly a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction that a murderer has finally been brought to justice, if you can call what happened to him 'justice'. And there's a lot of valuable intelligence that will certainly help in some shape or form. But joy or celebration? That I just can't feel.

No comments: