Saturday, May 28, 2011

Lancaster & Catch Up

Ok, all of these will gets posts of their own, but to summarize the past 3 weeks:
  • Backyard fence went up
  • Downstairs bathroom was (mostly) finished
  • Went to Strawberry Hill, had fun
  • Helped out at an RWC concert, had fun
  • Visited Lancaster once, and then again 2 weeks later
This post: the current Lancaster visit, aka the "My Cousin Mark is Getting Married!" post. The trip up was uneventful enough, although there were definitely some interesting people on the train.

Interesting Person #1 was the food car attendant who'd had 10 cups of coffee by 6AM, and who was obviously not used to that much caffeine. In between the shakey hand movements and darting eyes, I managed to order a bagel, which he then delivered in a kind of flirty way. I know it was probably the caffeine, but in another context all this could really be kinda sexy. "Soo... what're you gonna DO with this bagel once I make if for you?" and "Butter or cream cheese? Or, maybe, I have some ... jelly. You want some of my jelly? I'd give you my jelly if you wanted it."

Interesting Person #2 was a lady who was going to visit her family, and who couldn't remember whether her aunt had arthretis or dysentary. 'Nough said.

Interesting Person #3 was some cranky old lady who is one of the most entitled-feeling people I've met on a train. Business class, naturally. But god help the conductor if he didn't come back every 10 minutes and check to see if she wanted a drink so he could go get it for her. I think she had a mobility issue so I certainly don't begrudge her having the conductor get it for her, but she gave him hell after Baltimore because he spent too much time taking tickets instead of waiting on her hand and foot. I mean, she actually sent one of the other passengers back to find him so she could yell at him for not checking to see if she wanted scotch. On the rocks. Splash of water. NO FRUIT! At 10:30 in the morning. Jeebus.

Eventually I got to Lancaster and met my brother Will, who picked me up in his old beat-up Ford pickup. Threw my luggage in the back. It's good to be home :)

No comments: