Wednesday, April 13, 2011

House Update

It dawned on me the other day that I've had the house for almost 6 months, and besides some minor repair work, I really haven't done anything to it that I planned. No fence, no bathroom, no planting, and (most importantly) no renting out the downstairs.

This isn't entirely my fault - I called 3 contractors to come out, look over the house, and give me estimates. The first one I wrote off almost immediately as way too expensive, the 2nd one (recommended to me by my realtor) got me an estimate in less than a week, and the 3rd one ... well, the 3rd one is now 2 months overdue for the estimate. I called him in mid March to check in and see if he was going to get back to me, and he promised he would in a few days. 30 days later ... still nada.

He came highly recommended by a friend, so I really wanted to give him a chance, but the weeks just kept going by, so last week I made the decision that 2 months overdue was too long of a wait, and called back #2 to give him the job.

First up is a fence for the backyard (right now it's completely open to the street), followed by some gutter work, and then some major work on the bathroom. The bathroom is going to be tricky, since I won't be able to use it while he's working on it, which means either a hotel or imposing on a friend for a few days, and figuring out what to do with Lucy.

Once that's done, though, it's time to rent!

No comments: