Monday, January 03, 2011

Wicker Box and the Heebie Jeebies

So, 2 things to share:

First, the box cover that I bought for Lucy's litter box came today, and I put it together. It's a lot smaller than I thought it would be, but it fits her litter box, which is key. I got it for a few different reasons: 1) I think the wicker box looks nice. 2) It's a functional piece of furniture that I can throw my gym bag on. 3) The litter box was taking up valuable space in the bathroom, and I wanted to move it, but not without giving it a cover. The flash somehow illuminates the box so that you can see right through it to the concealed litter box, but in regular light you can't see a thing. Weird.

Second, I am kind of scared out of my mind right now. Last night between 9 and 10 I heard what sounded like a door opening and closing - and closing violently enough that I actually went to my window at one point to see if I could see anything. I couldn't, and just wrote it off as my neighbors. This evening when I went downstairs to get the mail, though .... the door to the first floor apartment ... was open. There's a door chain that locks from the inside that was keeping it from swinging wide open, but it was taunt and there was a 3 inch gap that you could see directly through into the dark, downstairs apartment.

When it comes to the idea of strangers being inside my house, I am not what you would call a brave person. In fact, I kind of freak out. In my old apartment I knew I was surrounded by a bunch of other apartments & people, which was actually kind of comforting. That's not true in my new place, and for the first couple of nights I was acutely aware of that. The open door downstairs, combined with the banging last night, brought all those feelings back.

So, without looking into the apartment, I grabbed the door handle, pulled it shut (tightly), and went straight back upstairs, where I will remain for the evening. Tomorrow, during daylight, I will go back downstairs and check the apartment to make sure nothing's wrong, probably with a hammer or something. I know, I know, there's really no reason to be scared, it was probably the wind or the fact that it's an older door, but rational-Nik is not in charge right now.

No comments: