Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Virginia's Continuing Nosedive on Gay Rights

Oh Virginia, how I love your displays of idiocy
MANASSAS, Va. (WUSA) -- Conservative delegate Bob Marshall says he will introduce a measure in the Virginia House of Delegates that would ban practicing homosexuals from serving in the state's National Guard

"It's a distraction when I'm on the battlefield and have to concentrate on the enemy 600 yards away and I'm worried about this guy whose got eyes on me ... If I needed a blood transfusion and the guy next to me had committed sodomy 14 times in the last month I'd be worried"

Bob Marshall ... now where have I heard that name before? Oh, right:
Marshall is one of the most conservative delegates in the Virginia state legislature. His claims to fame include writing Virginia's constitutional amendment defining marriage as heterosexual and outlawing civil unions.

"One of the most conservative delegates in the Virginia state legislature" is the polite way to put it. Lunatic homophobe who thinks gays are The End of Civilization is another. His amendment didn't just define marriage as heterosexual and eliminate civil unions, it also specifically invalidates any private legal contracts between gay couples that may attempt to approximate the benefits of marriage. Think about that for a second. This guy hates gays so much, he can't allow them to see each other in the hospital, to appear together at parent/teacher conferences, or even to designate each other as beneficiaries of each others' wills. *Sigh.

No comments: