Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Me and the Recession

Like a lot of other people I know (which is admittedly a very biased sample, keep reading), to me the current economic recession seems very surreal.

I read about the economy losing 600K jobs in January, but I don't personally know anyone who's lost their job, except a passing acquaintance that I've met exactly once. I read about companies cutting back, but everyone I work with still has their job and full salary. I read about the stock market and IRAs tanking, but I'm fresh out of college and retirement isn't even on my radar. I read about the credit market drying up, but I'm not looking to borrow anything except monthly expenses on credit cards, which I pay off every month which means I don't really care if the rate goes up.

I know I've got it pretty good: I'm young, I'm healthy, I work at a company that's got one of the best balance sheets in the country, I have friends who are all pretty much in the same boat, and I have a good job that I enjoy and that gives me disposable income. Because of an incredible series of good fortune coincidences, I haven't really felt any impact. I read the papers each day and try to wrap my mind around the fact that the economy is in free-fall and that people, LOTS of people, are suffering, but it's like trying to convince myself to ignore everything that I've observed and believe the opposite.

I don't really know why I'm writing this on the blog, but it's something that's been bugging me for a bit, and I guess I just wanted to see what other people thought.

Anybody out there?

No comments: