1) Take lentils out of your cupboard where they've been for the past year and a half.
2) Go to the store to pick up the other ingredients.
3) On the way to the store, call Mom to figure out what the spice was that Betsy puts in her sausage-lentil soup that makes it taste so good.
4) Remind Mom that sausage-lentil soup tastes very very good. Tell Mom that of course you'd love to make it for her and Dad when they come down to visit next weekend.
5) Decide that you don't want to have lentil-sausage soup all week long only to have it again next weekend. Buy stuff to make chicken parmesan instead.