Sunday, September 21, 2008

Et tu, McD's?

I admit, I have a weakness for McDonalds food. It may be horrible for me, but damnit, it tastes so good!

So this morning, when confronted with a fridge that was completely empty save for the fish and bok choy that's going to be tonight's dinner, I decided to allow myself an indulgence and walk down the street to McDonalds.

Now, I've never thought too badly of McDonalds as a company; sure they may be single handedly responsible for 80% of America's waistline, but at least they're up front about it and don't try to scam you. Or at least I never thought so, until today, when I discovered the intriguingly named "takeout tax" on my bill. On a meal of $5.50, this "takeout tax" totaled 61 cents, or 11.1%. That's a mighty hefty takeout tax, and it is conspicuously absent from most of their notices. Somebody who's worked there says it's not extra, it's just regular sales tax and clarifies eat-in vs take-out, but trust me, 11.1% is not just regular sales tax.

But I thought to myself, "Really, what's the big deal? So I paid a few extra cents, at least I have my steak-egg-and-cheese on a bagel, right?" WRONG! I get home, open the wrapper, and discover this monstrosity:
This isn't just a case of mistaken ordering: 1)The wrapper clearly says "BAGEL" and I assume does so for a reason, and 2)steak-egg-and-cheese on a biscuit isn't even a product that McDonalds offers as far as I'm aware. I mean, what is this world coming too!?!? I, an overweight corporate hack who enjoys his steak-egg-and-cheese on bagels and not biscuits, can't even overpay somebody anymore to get it right!?! I mean c'mon!!

Oh, and the biscuit was salty, too.

PS - yes, that was snark

No comments: