Monday, March 10, 2008

The 7 Deadly Sins, Version 2.0

It appears that the Vatican has updated a list of behaviors that the Catholic church considers sinful.

My first reaction to reading the headline was "oh good, I could use a laugh". Upon further examination it appears a lot more reasonable than I was expecting, although I reserve judgement until I find a specific detailed list, which I haven't.

The general gist is that the church recognizes that globalization has produced a much more integrated and interdependent humanity than what existed even a few decades ago, and that a sin which affects humanity as a whole in an ambiguous nature is as grievous as a sin that affects one person in a specific nature. Thus, hot-topic areas like global warming, social equality, and genetic manipulation are now front and center in the Vatican's never-ending quest to see humanity better itself.

I am, to put it mildly, not a Catholic. There are parts of the Catholic religion that I find offensive, and also parts that I find kinda creepy. And I am uniformly opposed to seeing Catholic morality legislated into law. And yet, every once in a while the church surprises me by putting its (rather impressive) might behind a surprisingly modern and progressive agenda.

When I find the list, I'll put it up.

No comments: