Thursday, December 13, 2007

Cold Update

Ugh. Apologies for the light posting, but it was a rough week. The cold that I woke up with on Sunday got worse, a LOT worse, as the week passed.

On Monday my nose turned into a snot machine, and my head felt like it was going to explode. I had to be out at the West Creek complex that day for a presentation, which meant not having a familiar place to sit and having to lug my backpack around, and to top it all off it was 80 degrees and I lost my keys for about 45 minutes and had to run around the campus trying to find them. I ended up going home around 3PM (when the Dayquil wore off); I stopped by Ukrops to pick up some soup, then spent the rest of the day wrapped up in a blanket drinking hot tea with honey and eating the oranges that my grandfather sent me for Christmas.

As bad as Monday was, Tuesday was even worse. My head was even stuffier and my nose even runnier. I also had to spend a lot of time in close proximity with other people, and I'm one of those guys who really hates to be close to others when I'm sick, more for their sake than mine, really. PLUS, I'm on the planning committee for CapOne's LGBT holiday party, which was Tuesday night, and had to deal with that (this warrants its own story). I was responsible for nametags, and had a great template that we'd used last year with gold and silver and our network logo that everybody liked. Except when I went to print them out, I discovered that we only had one sheet of nametags left, so I had to run out in the middle of the day to get more. After nearly getting killed (seriously) by a dumptruck that ran a red light, I got the stuff at Walmart, got back to the office in time for another holiday event that I'd helped plan for the department, eventually got them all printed, and set out to find the person who'd said they'd take the nametags to the event for me (someone had volunteered in our meeting earlier when I said I was sick and maybe not going). Except apparently that person left the office early without checking with me first. So apparently I was now going to the holiday party regardless of how sick I felt. I went home, rested for a bit, loaded myself up with drugs, grabbed the scissors and markers we would need for the raffle drawings later, and drove off to holiday party. After missing the buidling the first time around and then parking in the wrong lot the second time, I finally got parked and walked into the party ... only to discover that I'd forgotten the nametags at home. *sigh So, off to Walgreens to buy some "Hello my name is:" stickers. The night wasn't a complete bust though: I got a very nice rainbow candle and tree ornament :)

Wednesday was slightly better; my head wasn't nearly as bad, but now my throat was awful; so bad in fact that I took my own honey to work with me and literally drank tea all day long. Well, untill 2PM anyway. That was when 3 days of being really busy and really sick finally caught up and hit me like a sledgehammer. So I went home early again, and was so exhausted that I took a 4 hour nap. Woke up around 7 with a fever and the chills and aching all over; had some soup, some more tea and another orange, and then went back to bed around 9PM.

Woke up at 8AM on Thursday morning feeling a LOT better. No more exploding head or burning throat, just a mild case of the sniffles (I guess 15 hours of sleep will do that for you). Got through work easily enough, then had a great dinner with Katie up in Charlottesville, and am now feeling great!

More tomorrow, it's time for bed.

No comments: