Saturday, September 29, 2007

Friends are Fun, Fire is Bad!

Thursday night was fish and chips night. I have a good recipe that I made once a few years ago at Cornell and it turned out great. So now, whenever I want to have a nice evening with friends and a not-too-laborous meal, I try to make the same recipe. Trouble is, it never turns out right, and each time seems to be worse than the time before. Last time, I had really really REALLY soggy chips. This time, I may or may not have accidentally set the oil on fire.

So, one very freaked out cat, lots of black oily smoke, a few cups of baking soda, and some very bemused friends later, I had a complete mess and no dinner to show for it. So instead, we (Justin, Danielle, Janeth and me) went out for Italian at GrapeVine down the road, which turned out to be just what we needed. Good times and lots of laughs, but still really bummed that I didn't have dinner ready for everybody. I'm not sure I want to try again, there's no telling what could happen next time.

Friday night I went down to the Fan to hang out with Todd and Kelly, which was a big accomplishment for me. I'm one of those people who needs to know exactly where I'm going when I'm driving; so I hate driving places I don't know, and I especially have driving and parking in the city. The Fan is even worse, because not only have I never been there, but there's no off-street parking, and on-street parking is hideous since so many people live there.

But, do it I did! Found a good spot about a block away from Kelly's apartment, hung out there for a little while, then went out for drinks at the bars. Met two of Kelly's friends there, Nikhil and Catherine. Nikhil and Catherine are, as it turns out, engaged to be married. Over the course of the night Catherine and I talked, and had a few beers. The beers got the better of Catherine, who then proceeded to go to sleep on my shoulder ... while her fiance sat right on her other side wondering why she wasn't sleeping on his shoulder. Umm, AWKWARD.

Anyway, great night, glad I finally did it.

No comments: